Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finally here...

I am using my host sister Julias computer so my punctuation and capitals are going to be somewhat non existant in this....ha
the airport was super emotional...we all cried, we all held back tears because we didnt want to be completely sobing in this middle of a bunch of strangers...i went through security alone, found my plane alone, rode it to dallas alone, transferred alone, and rode a ten hour flight to argentina where the only person who speaks english in my family is leaving in a few days for exchange. alone. my moods are as inconsistant as ocean waves, coming in heaps of excitement, sadness, nervousness, and scarednesss . i was able to sleep a little on the plane thanks to lack of sleep for the past two weeks and thanks to tylonal pm. when my plane touched down i got so excited looking at this beautiful place and then it hit me again...im here to see this with only my two eyes and no one elses. 
the rotary prepares you for lots of things, but no one can prepare you for this. everyone here is so excited you finally are here they forget you just left a whole life behind. everyone here is so nice and wonderful and i feel awful because all i want to do is sleep and watch tv and talk to my friends and have friends here, but for the next month or so thats not how its going to be. i am going to have to push myself to all areas of my soul to learn a new language, make friends, go to school, learn a new life style, re learn my entire life. its so scary but at the same time knowing that i can do it. will do it. makes it all worth it. i am already speaking more learning more and i have only been here a few hours. i know i can do this, and i am hoping it gets easier.
i talked to my parents on the phone when i got here and it was so hard. i didnt even see their faces and just hearing my mom say hello? made me cry. i miss everyone back home terribley, but not in the way i thought. i dont want to go home, i want them to come here. i have only been here a day and i already love it. i love how new everything seems, how different, how exciting.
my advice to any parent who may consider sending their child, do it. even though at the beginning it just hurts all over, it makes you such a strong independent person. my other advice is dont just take rotarys word for everything...because they don't know. i am so thankful i had laura to talk to because otherwise i would have been way more overwhelmed. for example, no one cares if you are wearing your rotary jacket or not, they wont give you the time of day because your a teen in their country not knowing their language, so being prepared to have to deal with people who dont want to deal with you is helpful. also, learn hand signals. rotary doesnt tell you how hard it is to communicate with people. i am lucky because my sister mery speaks english but she is leaving soon...which i dont even want to think about because without her i am screwed for a while...ha.
oh and apparently jonas brothers are a big deal here haha fyi.
i will try to write again when i am not exhausted and emotional. i miss you all i love you all, keep in touch.
besitos

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mom here. I'm missing Aubrey so much, it's so strange to watch a movie last night and not have her next to me. :( But I know it will get easier for both of us and I know what a wonderful adventure you will have. Love you soooooo much Aubs!mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aubrey! So glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. Having traveled to countries where I didn't know the language, I began to realize that I had one melt down day per trip...lol. It's great to just look around and have all these nonverbal experiences, but then one day one wants to have a long conversation. Hang in there -- you will never be the same again. You were are on my mind and in my heart all day yesterday, and wish I could have seen you off, but my obligations kept me away. I'll stay in touch and look forward to your reports.
    Love, Auntie Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aubrey,

    Your mom forwarded your Picasa link and I enjoyed viewing your pictures. They made me reminisce about the first days on the ground of my exchange. You have the right attitude, and are right about the first weeks being wonderful and awful - "...I want to go home....I never want to go home...What's this on my plate?...Yum. Tastes delicious...I don't understand...I completely understand..." and on and on.

    I send you heaps of good mojo, courage, persistence, and a sense of exploration.

    Cheers,
    Rick

    ReplyDelete